Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Rev. War Pension Applications For JONES (part III)

The table to the right shows the migration ratios for the southern regions.  A total of 223 applicants were from the southern states.  Of these, 96 left their state of enlistment [1776-1781] to move to another state at the time of their pension application. [1832-1842]  Thus, 43% of the applicants moved to another area, leaving 57% to remain where they enlisted.

Folks seemed more likely to move out of NC (53%) as compared to GA at 20%.  On the whole, those who enlisted from the south, tended to remain in the south, although they had a change to migrate from their home state.  Only 15/223 (7%) moved from the south to the north.   They wanted to stay out of all that snow I guess.  At any rate, this again shows that folks who migrated, tended to stay in the area close to their state of enlistment.  This must have had to do with the travel arrangements of the time.

Sunday, June 17, 2012


This is the second blog to re-post my copyright notice.  All blogs are under this copyright, including photographs, maps, drawings, charts, and stories.

You may not use the contents of this site (blog and posts) for commercial purposes without explicit written permission from the author and blog owner.  Commercial purposes includes blogs with ads and income generation features, and/or blogs or sites using feed content as a replacement for original content.  Full content usage is not permitted.

Jerry E. Jones, MD, MS, The Jones Genealogist, Library of Congress No. 6192-01064476.

Monday, June 4, 2012

JONES Glamorgan 1515

The JONES surname appears in Wales over a period of some 100 years.  Of course, the surname starts its course in English records, not Welsh records. [Records written in English, not Welsh!]

The English legal records of Wales begin 1273, under the rule of Edward I.  As Wales became "more and more" under English control, the system of English surnames became the norm.  Their appearance in the county (legal) records give indirectly a history of this phenomena.  South Wales seems to start the JONES surname.  This most likely reflects the fact that South Wales came under control of Roman, Anglo-Saxon, and Norman control much easier (geographically) than other parts of this western land.

Glamorgan is the first Welsh county to show a JONES surname.  In the legal records 1515-1518, the name John Jones appears.  [File 421/ folio 72]  The map to the right shows the location of this Welsh county in relationship to the other Welsh counties since the Act of Union 1536.  Of course it had to be a John Jones.   Glamorgan was also the first county to have a JONES surname appear in 1496.

The next several post will show the chronology of the appearance of the JONES surname for Wales from around 1500 - 1700.   South Wales begins the story.