A series of volumes indexing and listing the holdings of the public records office in England can be found. [Great Britain Public Records Office, List and Indexes, New York, Kraus Reprint Corporation, 1966.] The lists and indexes were abstracted for the surname JONES as part of my tree climbing experiences. They have served as the documents pertaining to the dates and distribution of the JONES surname in England and Wales given in the posts surrounding this discussion.
From 1327 to 1714 there are four counties in England that have ZERO with the surname JONES! These are shown below.
The following are the references explored:
1) Index of Ancient Petitions. Generally before Edward III (1327 - 1377)
2) Calender of Close Rolls: AD 1381 - 1499
3) Calendars of the Close Rolls: From the reign of Edward I - to Edward IV (1272 - 1483)
4) List of Early Chancery Proceedings, Vol. IV, for dates 1500 - 1515.
5) List of Early Chancery Proceedings, Vol. V, 1515 - 1529.
6) List of Early Chancery 1530 - 1538
7) List of Early Chancery Proceedings, Vol. VIII, 1538 - 1544.
8) List of Early Chancery Proceedings, Vol. IX, 1544 - 1553.
9) List of Early Chancery Proceedings, Vol. X , 1553 - 1558.
10)Index of Chancery Proceedings (Series II), Vol. I, 1558 - 1579.
11)Index of Chancery Proceedings ,...for years 1579 - 1600..given as Vol. XXIV
12)Proceedings in the Court of Requests, Vol. 4, James I (1603 - 1625)
13)Index of Chancery Proceedings (Series II), Vol. III, 1621 - 1660
14)Public Record Office, London: Chancery Proceedings, Bridge's Division, 1613 - 1714, Vol. IV.
If anyone has found the JONES surname in these counties before 1714, please post.