Monday, December 27, 2010

Tudor Trevor

My first encounter with the name Tudor Trevor was in the early 1990s in a reference titled: "Annals and Antiquities of The Counties and County Families of Wales", by Thomas Nicholas. It was first published London, 1872 and reprinted by the Genealogical Publishing Co., 1991. It has served me well in my Welsh genealogical research particularly for my surname JONES. There are at least 32 JONES families listed in the index. The JONES surname was connected to the TREVOR surname among several families, and this became the starting point for many of my tree climbing branches. Extensive information is given on several TREVOR family groups on pages 395-396, Vol.I; p. 411, Vol.I; pp. 415-416, Vol.I; pp. 456-457, Vol.I; and the most detailed connected to the surname JONES pp. 354-356, Vol.I. This reference started me on many adventures.

A second reference used frequently in my JONES family research was discovered on the self of a rare book store. It is entitled: "The General Armory of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales..." by Sir Bernard Burke. It was first published in 1884. The JONES surname is found on pp. 546-549, with 108 Jones families listed. On page 1035 is found:

"Tudor Trevor (Lord of Hereford, Whittington, and both Maelors; founder of the Tribe of the Marches, surnamed TREVOR, from the place of his birth, co. Denbigh, son of YNYR AP CADFORCH, Lord of Whittington and both Maelors, in Powys, by RHEINGAR, his wife, dau. and heir of LLUDDOCA AP CARADOC VREICHFRAS, Lord of Hereford, in South Wales."

Little did I know that after more than 20 years of genealogical research, this would be the source of my Y-chromosome. Much more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment